I stumbled upon an interesting slide deck, Information Technology Team Dynamics. It summarizes some work sponsored by the Defense Systems Management College in the US Department of Defense.
The deck provides a reasonably detailed picture of work done to analyze team dynamics in IT organizations relative to several personality classification methods.
It's an interesting read for those interested in the topic.
It presents some thought provoking findings. A few in particular caught my attention.
- Preference for intuition was 40% higher in the study group than the MBTI national sample
- Preference for thinking was nearly twice the percentage found in the MBTI national sample
- Feeler and perceivers were underrepresented relative to the MBTI national sample
- increased preference for abstract theoretical information over concrete sensory information
- increased preference for rule-based decisions over consensus based decisions
- decreased comfort with changing course when new information is available
- previous working theories are disintegrating under new market conditions
- new information is capable of arriving at ever increasing rates
How many IT organizations are fundamentally mismatched to the problems they face?